Wednesday, 20 June 2012

London 2012 Olympic Torch Relay

On Saturday 16th June we were able to see the Olympic Torch. It spent last weekend travelling around the North East and after studying the route I picked out an easy spot for us to stand and see it.  So we packed up our umbrellas and waterproofs, stuck on our wellies and headed down to Stocksfield a small village outside of Newcastle.   It was a little wait before the vehicles started to arrive.  I gave the kids lollipops to keep them happy while we waited.    It made Benjis day when the Police cars and bikes started passing,  their sirens and lights were all go and he thought it was great.  Eventually we spotted the flame on its way.  Another watcher said that the guy carrying the torch was afraid that no one would be supporting him as he was on the last leg of the run through the village. He was worried that no one would bother to come down to the end of the village.  I'm guessing by the smiles on his face that he was pleased to see the crowds cheering him on.

Enjoying The lollipops Grandad  brought back from France.

Waving our flags


Proof that Luke was also there, he slept through the whole thing.



The start of the relay cars, and Wenlock the Olympic Mascot



Benjamins favourite site of the day, they just kept on coming along the road giving high fives to everyone.





It was a once in a life time opportunity that we couldn't miss out on. I don't expect to be able to see an Olympic torch being carried around the UK again.

1 comment:

analee hirschi said...

awesome. I am glad you got to see that. I am so excited for the olympics and am so jealous that it is in your beautiful country.